TUTORIAL: How to make a Rainbow Layer Cake

When my little sisters best friend said she wanted me to bake her a cake, and she'd pay for the ingredients, I knew exactly the cake I wanted to make. And I don't know how, but it turned out PERFECT.







Saw a few pictures of cakes like this knocking about on tumblr and weheartit, and decided I wanted to do it. With not very much planning and alot of patience, I roped my little sister and boyfriend into a 'fun day of baking', which including me dancing and singing to super bass in my kitchen in my pyjamas all morning.



What you will need:



♥ 125g of self raising flour

♥ 125g of sugar (I used brown but you can use caster)

♥ 125g of butter (or margerine, I had no butter and was being lazy!)

♥ 1 tsp of vanilla essence

♥ 1 tsp of baking powder

♥ 2 eggs

♥ at least 2 cake tins of the same size. I had 3, they were like £2.99 from tesco or something.



All of these ingredients need to be avilable x3. This list makes up one bowl of mixture, and this needs to be done 3 times altogether, so you need to have 375g of flour available etc. One bowl will be poured into two cake tins.





1. Throw it all in, not sure which order it's supposed to go in, but do the floury stuff first then eggs etc after. Make sure you sieve the flour and sugar!







2. Mix.



3. Divide into two different bowls.







4. Add food colouring into one then the other. Different ones of course!











5. Mix.









6. Repeat two more times.







7. You should have 6 bowls of colourful mixtures!







8. Grease the cake tins, pour in the mixture & Pop into the oven, middle shelf at 180 degrees for 15 minutes!









I did two lots of three, as three fit on one shelf - make sure they're on the same shelf so they all rise to THE SAME level without faffing about as some will cook different times to others on diff shelves!





Now for the icing ..



I decided on this one with rice krispy bits and hazelnuts in, its the tastiest thing ever! But choose whichever chocolate you would like :) or even non chocolate version!







♥ Icing sugar

♥ Hazelnut syrup (optional)

♥ Chocolate

♥ Butter

♥ Milk



To be honest I just threw it all in and mixed till it looked 'right'. I don't have measurements cause I just build it up to the right consistency! I'm sure there are some recipes online though :)



9. Melt chocolate. I used three bars







10. Add icing sugar, milk and melted butter. Stir and keep adding icing sugar and/or butter till a good consistency.







11. Place the first piece down and add icing.







12. Layer it up and ice inbetween like a burger. (it looks like one aswell to be fair!)













Leave in the fridge.. then..



VOILA!















Enjoy the yummyness of the uber amazing rainbow cake my lovelies! The waitress at Frankie and Bennys was 'oohing' and 'ahhing' at it, and all my sisters friends were taking pictures of it - It's definitely an 'impressor!' Oh and again sorry for so much food on my blog guys haha, I know it makes everyone really hungry!

Hope you've all had a fabby weekend!



0 comments:

Post a Comment